Rip It Up! Level 3 Ukulele Lessons - London City Central
Tuesday Nights 7-9pm
10 Week Ukulele Course
Tue 16 Jan - 19 Mar 2024
Location: Central London (venue tbc)
Suitable for: Adults Only 18+
Get inspired. Meet new people. Perform like a pro in 10 weeks.
Our 'Rip It Up' course develops your ukulele playing to inspire confident performances and improve your knowledge of the whole fretboard! Meet new people, make new friendships and continue your musical journey.
With 15 places in each class, they are a perfect size for everyone to get to know each other and enjoy playing together as a group. There are two experienced School of Uke tutors per class who will put you through your paces, while making sure everyone is comfortable and having a great time.
Using a wide range of musical genres, we look further into chord and melody playing, and playing arrangements together in a band like setup. By the end of the course you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills to family and friends at our very own ‘Grand Finale’ ukulele show at a London music venue.
All our venues are hand-picked for their special qualities, and just 5-10mins walk to central London TFL Stations. We work with a number of partner venues in London Central and City Central, including Soho, Covent Garden, Shoreditch, Clerkenwell, Tower Bridge, Aldgate, Bethnal Green and Bermondsey.
During the Summer months, weather permitting, we host our evenings at outdoor venues to make the most of the sunshine and summer nights.
With a strong focus on developing your ukulele playing, our Level 3 Ukulele Lessons aim to get you playing like a pro.
We usually expect students to have completed a course with School of Uke but we welcome all players with previous knowledge of the Ukulele who want to try out new genres and performance techniques.
Rock, Pop, R&B, Disco, Funk, Folk, Bluegrass and Latin Jazz at Your Fingertips
All techniques will be taught by looking at popular standards for fresh interpretation on the Ukulele, to broaden your musical repertoire and focus on your confidence as a performer. Song requests are encouraged and will be explored whenever possible.
Over a 10 week course, as well as looking at classic Rock, Pop and Blues standards we also choose one other musical genre to focus on to broaden your musical repertoire. Focus genres covered in previous courses have included Folk, Bluegrass, Funk and Latin Jazz.
How to ‘rip it up’ on a ukulele
We aim to get you ‘Ripping It Up’ on the ukulele! With a hands-on practical approach and through a variety of standards and musical genres, we’ll look at chord theory, chord construction, inversions, scales and modes, playing in different keys, improvisation and performance tips n tricks!
The course places a strong emphasis on developing a confident playing technique. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness as part of a group ensemble. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage individual style.
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play multi-part arrangements
- Learn about developing performance in songs with multiple parts
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Reinforcing playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking
- Build confident strumming patterns and rhythms using emphasis, accent and syncopation
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects useful for achieving a more percussive and syncopated sound
- Emphasis on timing and cross group syncopation with alternate strumming parts
- Introduction to advanced strumming and picking techniques including tremolo picking where song appropriate
Melody and Theory
- Develop awareness of the fretboard
- Introduction to scales including Minor and Major Pentatonic
- Melody improvisation within a song structure
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory
- Focus on progressions outside the I/IV/V format related to chosen material
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords outside the key of C
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions using inversions
- Understanding the circle of 5ths
- Developing understanding of chord construction in relative Major and Minor keys
- Our Rip It Up! course culminates in a “Grand Finale” show where you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills at a London music venue.
An Awesome Experience
Overall it's about a group of like-minded people discovering music and having a great time together. Here's what some of our students had to say...
"Great teaching and so much fun! Everyone should learn to play an instrument!" - Edina
"Amazing fun, brilliant teaching, awesome people!" - Avital
"I couldn't play anything when I first started, now I'm playing Slash solos!" - Cat