Ukulele Idol Intermediate Ukulele Lessons 5 Week Course - Shoreditch
Tuesday Nights 7-9pm
19 Oct - 16 Nov 2021
Location: Duke of Uke, 88 Cheshire Street, London E2 6EH
Suitable for: Adults
Get inspired. Meet new people. Perform like a pro in just 5 weeks.
Reach for the stars! Our 'Ukulele Idol' course develops your ukulele playing to inspire confident performances and will be the focus of your journey to the very top! Meet new people, make new friendships and continue your musical journey.
With 15 places in each class, they are a perfect size for everyone to get to know each other and enjoy playing together as a group. There are two experienced School of Uke tutors per class who will put you through your paces, while making sure everyone is comfortable and having a great time.
Duke of Uke
Enjoy your ukulele classes in the inspiring surroundings of London's World Famous Ukulele Specialist Store. A Shoreditch institution and situated by East London's buzzing Brick Lane, Duke of Uke has hosted School of Uke experiences since 2006. With the notorious Carpenter's Arms Pub across the road, there's a selection of world wines, craft ales and Belgian beers to accompany you on your ukulele challenge!
With a strong focus on developing skilled ukulele playing and singing, our ‘Ukulele Idol’ Intermediate Ukulele Lessons aim to get you performing - like a pro. Using a wide range of musical genres, we look into honing your ukulele technique and how to incorporate vocals along with your playing.
Lead tutor Jake Rodrigues will guide you with his own unique and creative approach to the ukulele. You’ll explore chords and melody, strumming, improvisation, play multi part arrangements incorporating vocals, and learn how to craft captivating renditions of popular songs.
We usually expect Intermediate students to have completed a ‘Next Level’ course with School of Uke but we welcome all players approaching intermediate knowledge of the Ukulele who want to try out new genres and performance technqiues.
Rock, Pop, R&B, Jazz and Classic Showtunes at Your Fingertips
All techniques will be taught by looking at popular standards for fresh interpretation on the Ukulele, to broaden your musical repertoire and focus on your confidence as a performer. Song requests are encouraged and will be explored whenever possible.
How to become a 'Ukulele Idol'
In our performance focused Intermediate classes we aim to get you really interacting with the ukulele and communicating through song and extended ukulele techniques. We go beyond the basics to start exploring the higher reaches of the fretboard, diving into improvisation, and how to pull off a fully immersive musical performance. With a hands-on practical approach, we’ll look at melody, harmony, advanced strumming, fingerpicking, improvisation and performance tips n tricks!
The course places a strong emphasis on developing confident playing and incorporating singing into full arrangements, both for effect and for storytelling. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness and hone your performances. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage individual style.
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play multi-part arrangements with the Ukulele and vocals
- Learn about developing performance including fingerpicking, timing and improvisation
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Singing and Timing
- Learn how to sing over your strumming
- Develop your musical understanding as you work together with others to fine tune arrangements
- Expand your knowledge of harmony
- Explore storytelling through song and vocal performance
Strumming and Picking
- Build confident strumming patterns and rhythms using emphasis and accent
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects
- Emphasis on timing and cross group syncopation
- Introduction to advanced strumming and picking techniques
Melody and Theory
- Develop awareness of the whole fretboard
- Introduction to scales including Minor and Major Pentatonic for soloing
- Melody improvisation within a song structure
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory
- Focus on advanced progressions outside the I/IV/V format
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords outside the key of C
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions using inversions
- Developing understanding of chord construction in relative Major and Minor keys