Don’t Stop Me Now! Next Level Ukulele Lessons 5 Week Course - Shoreditch
Thursday Nights 7-9pm
7 Oct - 4 Nov 2021
Location: Duke of Uke, 88 Cheshire Street, London E2 6EH
Suitable for: Adults
Get inspired. Meet new people. Step up to the Next Level in just 5 weeks.
Just Can't Get Enough? Our 'Don't Stop Me Now' Ukulele Course will take you beyond beginner ukulele to the Next Level. Meet new people, make new friendships and continue your musical journey.
With 15 places in each class, they are a perfect size for everyone to get to know each other and enjoy playing together as a group. There are two experienced School of Uke tutors per class who will put you through your paces, while making sure everyone is comfortable and having a great time.
Duke of Uke
Enjoy your ukulele classes in the inspiring surroundings of London's World Famous Ukulele Specialist Store. A Shoreditch institution and situated by East London's buzzing Brick Lane, Duke of Uke has hosted School of Uke experiences since 2006. With the notorious Carpenter's Arms Pub across the road, there's a selection of world wines, craft ales and Belgian beers to accompany you on your ukulele challenge!
Next Level Ukulele
If you've already started playing the ukulele, or have completed one of our 'Absolute Beginners' ukulele courses, our Next Level Ukulele Lessons are for you. With a strong focus on playing within a group, we aim to get you playing like a pro!
Through a selection of popular songs curated and arranged by School of Uke we look further into chord and melody playing, and playing arrangements together in a band like setup.
Rock, Pop, R&B, and Disco Classics at Your Fingertips
All techniques will be taught by looking at popular lesser-known rock, pop, folk and blues tunes. Think ABBA, The Smiths, Blondie, The Cure, Bowie, 60s Classics from The Shirelles to the Shangr-Las, French Pop and Bluegrass! Song requests are encouraged and will be explored whenever possible.
Confident Playing Technique
The course places a strong emphasis on developing a confident playing technique. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness as part of a group ensemble. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage singing and individual style.
In our Next Level classes we aim to expand on the basics and get you playing more confidently. We’ll take you beyond the simple stuff and start introducing techniques you never thought possible. With a hands-on practical approach we’ll look at new chords, chord construction, new scales, playing in new keys and performance tips and tricks.
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play one or two part arrangements with Ukulele
- Learn about developing arrangement and performance in songs with multiple parts
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Introduction to playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking
- Strong focus on strumming techniques and syncopation, the place of emphasis and accent.
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects useful for achieving a more percussive and syncopated sound.
- Introduction to box rolls, forward and backward.
Melody and Theory
- Develop awareness of the fretboard up to the 12th fret
- Introduction to scales including Minor and Major Pentatonic
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory
- Focus on I/IV/V progression through 12 Bar Blues and cross-fertilization with other genres
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords outside the key of C
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions using inversions
- Introduction to the circle of 5ths
- Introduction to understanding of chord construction in relative Major and Minor keys