'Don’t Stop Me Now!' Next Level 5 Week Ukulele Course - ONLINE
Tuesday Nights 7-9pm
11 May - 8 Jun 2021
Location: Online Zoom
Suitable for: Adults 18+
15 Places Available, 2 Tutors Per Course
Get inspired. Meet new people. Continue your musical journey.
Have you caught the Ukulele bug? Join the Duke of Uke’s ‘School of Uke’ for a 5 week course of Next Level Ukulele Lessons on Zoom.
Meet new people, make new friendships and continue your musical journey! With a strong focus on playing and learning as part of a group, our Next Level Ukulele Lessons aim to get you playing like a pro. Using a wide range of musical genres, we look further into chord and melody playing, new chord families and theory, and more of your favourite songs!
Zoom - How does it work?
Our Zoom online ukulele courses are a great way to learn to play the ukulele in a group setting from the comfort of your own home. We use a Zoom video chat room where you will be present in a virtual room with 2 tutors and your fellow students. Expect a fun and enthusiastic group environment with an upbeat and inspiring program of learning and structured practice.
The sessions are fully interactive and tailored to allow your group get to know each other and progress together at a comfortable pace. You'll receive song sheets and tablature by PDF and be guided through a series of fun and interactive tasks and exercises.
Our tutors give detailed, specific instruction and we use multiple cameras to focus on the tutor's fretting and strumming hands so you can see clearly how you should be playing. At any point during the session you're free to raise questions and interact with your tutors and all exercises are followed by a short Q&A where you’ll have the opportunity to feed back to the tutors and to each other. We also encourage all students to join a Whatsapp group to keep the conversation flowing between lessons!
Confident Playing Technique
The course places a strong emphasis on developing a confident playing technique. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness as part of a group ensemble. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage singing and individual style.
In our Level 2 classes we aim to expand on the basics and get you playing more confidently. We’ll take you beyond the simple stuff and start introducing techniques you never thought possible. With a hands-on practical approach we’ll look at new chords, chord construction, new scales, playing in new keys and performance tips and tricks.
Rock, Pop, R&B, and Disco Classics at Your Fingertips
All techniques will be taught through contextual application, looking at popular and lesser-known rock, pop, folk and blues tunesThink ABBA, The Smiths, Blondie, The Cure, Bowie, 60s Classics from The Shirelles to the Shangr-Las, French Pop and Bluegrass! Song requests are encouraged and will be incorporated within the program where applicable.
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play one or two part arrangements with Ukulele
- Learn about developing arrangement and performance in songs with multiple parts
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Introduction to playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking
- Strong focus on strumming techniques and syncopation, the place of emphasis and accent.
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects useful for achieving a more percussive and syncopated sound.
- Introduction to box rolls, forward and backward.
Melody and Theory
- Develop awareness of the fretboard up to the 12th fret
- Introduction to scales including Minor and Major Pentatonic
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory
- Focus on I/IV/V progression through 12 Bar Blues and cross-fertilization with other genres
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords outside the key of C
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions using inversions
- Introduction to the circle of 5ths
- Introduction to understanding of chord construction in relative Major and Minor keys