Rip It Up Summer Jam Ukulele Lessons – 6 Week Course
Wednesday Evenings 7-9pm
Starting 7 August 2019
Ending 11 September 2019
Location: Duke of Uke, 88 Cheshire Street, London E2 6EH
Join School of Uke’s Summer Nights Ukulele Experience for a 6 week Rip It Up Summer Jam Ukulele Course!
Take part in a fun, interactive 6 week Summer Experience at a holiday friendly price, so if you’re already going away for a couple of weeks you won’t miss out!
Meet new people, make new friendships and continue your musical journey!
This course of 6 Intermediate/Advanced Ukulele lessons gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the world of Ukulele. Each lesson will focus on material to further develop your knowledge of the fretboard, through improvisation and interacting as a group ensemble through song material and extended jams!
Using a musical genres that feature improvisation as a key component, we look further into chord and melody playing, improvisation, and playing multi part arrangements together in a band like setup using both Ukulele and Baritone Ukulele!
Located in the historic East End of London, Duke of Uke is London’s World Famous Ukulele Store. Our School of Uke Summer Nights Ukulele Experience is your opportunity to make new friends and learn to play the Ukulele in a fun and relaxed social setting.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play multi-part arrangements with Ukulele and Baritone Ukulele
- Learn about developing arrangement and performance in songs with multiple parts
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Reinforcing playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking
- Build confident strumming patterns and rhythms using emphasis, accent and syncopation
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects useful for achieving a more percussive and syncopated sound
- Emphasis on timing and cross group syncopation with alternate strumming parts
- Introduction to advanced strumming and picking techniques including tremolo picking where song appropriate
Melody and Theory
- Develop awareness of the whole fretboard
- Introduction to advanced scales including Minor and Major Pentatonic
- Introduction to Modes
- Melody improvisation within a song structure
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory
- Focus on advanced progressions outside the I/IV/V format related to chosen material
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords outside the key of C
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions using inversions
- Introduction to the circle of 5ths
- Developing understanding of chord construction in relative Major and Minor keys