‘Ukulele Boss’ Advanced Ukulele Lessons – 10 Week Course
Wednesday Evenings 7-9pm
Starting 2 May 2018
Ending 4 July 2018
Location: Duke of Uke, 88 Cheshire Street, London E2 6EH
Join the Duke of Uke’s ‘School of Uke’ for a 10 week Advanced Ukulele course!
With a strong focus on playing within a group, our Advanced Ukulele Lessons aim to get you playing like a pro! Using a wide range of musical genres, we look further into chord and melody playing, improvisation, and playing multi part arrangements together in a band like setup using both Ukulele, Baritone Ukulele and U-Bass if desired.
At the end of the course you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills to family and friends at our very own ‘Grand Finale’ ukulele show at a local music venue.
How do you become a Ukulele Boss?
In our Advanced classes we aim to give you full command of all 4 strings and conquer your fear of the 12th fret and beyond! With a hands-on practical approach toward theory and through a variety of standards and musical genres, we’ll look at chord theory, chord construction, inversions, scales and modes, playing in different keys, improvisation and performance tips n tricks!
The course places a strong emphasis on developing a confident playing technique. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness as part of a group ensemble. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage singing and individual style.
All techniques and theory are taught through contextual application. Over a 10 week course, as well as looking at classic Rock, Pop, Blues and Jazz standards we also choose one other musical genre to focus on to broaden your musical repertoire. Focus genres covered in previous courses have included Jazz, Classical and World Music including Bossa-Nova, Samba, Spanish Baroque, Classical Hawaiian, Japanese and African styles. Genre and song requests are encouraged and will be incorporated within the program where applicable.
We usually expect Advanced students to have completed an Intermediate course here at the Duke of Uke but we also welcome all players approaching advanced knowledge of the Ukulele who wish to experiment with new genres or cover gaps in their knowledge.
Ukulele Boss breakdown:
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play multi-part arrangements with Ukulele, Baritone and U-Bass
- Learn about developing arrangement and performance in songs with multiple parts
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Reinforcing how to play effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking:
- Build confident strumming patterns and rhythms using emphasis, accent and syncopation
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects useful for achieving a more percussive and syncopated sound
- Emphasis on timing and cross group syncopation with alternate strumming parts
- Introduction to advanced strumming and picking techniques including tremolo picking where song appropriate
Melody and Theory
- Develop a knowledge and awareness of the whole fret-board
- Advanced scales including Minor and Major Pentationic up to the 12th fret
- Application of Modes
- Soloing and melody improvisation within a song structure
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory:
- Focus on advanced progressions outside the I/IV/V format related to chosen material
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords to be able to play I/IV/V in any key
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords in any key
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions, using passing chords and inversions
- Revision of the circle of 5ths
- Developing understanding of chord construction, including suspended chords in relative Major and Minor keys