'Rip It Up!' Intermediate Ukulele Lessons 10 Week Course
Tuesday Nights 7-9pm
21 Jan - 24 Mar 2020
Location: Duke of Uke, 88 Cheshire Street, London, E2 6EH
Suitable for: Adults
Have you caught the Ukulele bug?
Meet new people, make new friendships and continue your musical journey! With a strong focus on playing within a group, our Intermediate Ukulele Lessons aim to get you playing like a pro. Using a wide range of musical genres, we look further into chord and melody playing, improvisation, and playing multi part arrangements together in a band like setup using both Ukulele and Baritone Ukulele.
By the end of the course you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills at our very own ‘Grand Finale’ ukulele show at a London music venue.
We usually expect Intermediate students to have completed a Level 2 course with School of Uke but we welcome all players approaching advanced knowledge of the Ukulele who wish to experiment with new genres or cover gaps in their knowledge.
How to ‘rip it up’ on a ukulele
In our Intermediate classes we aim to get you ‘Ripping It Up’ on the ukulele! We’ll go beyond the basics and start exploring the higher reaches of the fretboard! With a hands-on practical approach toward theory and through a variety of standards and musical genres, we’ll look at chord theory, chord construction, inversions, scales and modes, playing in different keys, improvisation and performance tips n tricks!
The course places a strong emphasis on developing a confident playing technique. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness as part of a group ensemble. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage singing and individual style.
Rock, Pop, R&B, Disco, Funk, Folk, Bluegrass and Latin Jazz at Your Fingertips
All techniques and theory are taught through contextual application. Over a 10 week course, as well as looking at classic Rock, Pop and Blues standards we also choose one other musical genre to focus on to broaden your musical repertoire. Focus genres covered in previous courses have included Folk, Bluegrass, Funk and Latin Jazz. Genre and song requests are encouraged and will be incorporated within the program where applicable.
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play multi-part arrangements with Ukulele and Baritone Ukulele
- Learn about developing arrangement and performance in songs with multiple parts
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Reinforcing playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking
- Build confident strumming patterns and rhythms using emphasis, accent and syncopation
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects useful for achieving a more percussive and syncopated sound
- Emphasis on timing and cross group syncopation with alternate strumming parts
- Introduction to advanced strumming and picking techniques including tremolo picking where song appropriate
Melody and Theory
- Develop awareness of the whole fretboard
- Introduction to advanced scales including Minor and Major Pentatonic
- Introduction to Modes
- Melody improvisation within a song structure
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory
- Focus on advanced progressions outside the I/IV/V format related to chosen material
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords outside the key of C
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions using inversions
- Understanding the circle of 5ths
- Developing understanding of chord construction in relative Major and Minor keys
- Our Rip It Up! course culminates in a “Grand Finale” show where you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills at a London music venue.