Rip It Up! Level 3 Ukulele Lessons - Shoreditch, London
Tuesday Nights 7-9pm
10 week course
27 Sept - 29 Nov
Suitable for: Adults Only 18+
Get inspired. Meet new people. Perform like a pro in 10 weeks.
Our 'Rip It Up' course develops your ukulele playing to inspire confident performances and improve your knowledge of the whole fretboard! Meet new people, make new friendships and continue your musical journey.
With 15 places in each class, they are a perfect size for everyone to get to know each other and enjoy playing together as a group. There are two experienced School of Uke tutors per class who will put you through your paces, while making sure everyone is comfortable and having a great time.
Using a wide range of musical genres, we look further into chord and melody playing, and playing arrangements together in a band like setup. By the end of the course you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills to family and friends at our very own ‘Grand Finale’ ukulele show at a London music venue.
Enjoy your ukulele classes in the Canvas Cafe, a stylish independent venue, cafe bar and community hub situated just off East London's buzzing Brick Lane. There's a selection of great coffee, craft beer and home made cakes and snacks to accompany you on your ukulele adventure!!
With a strong focus on developing more skilled ukulele playing, our Intermediate Ukulele Lessons aim to get you playing like a pro.
We usually expect Intermediate students to have completed a ‘Next Level’ course with School of Uke but we welcome all players approaching intermediate knowledge of the Ukulele who want to try out new genres and performance techniques.
Rock, Pop, R&B, Disco, Funk, Folk, Bluegrass and Latin Jazz at Your Fingertips
All techniques will be taught by looking at popular standards for fresh interpretation on the Ukulele, to broaden your musical repertoire and focus on your confidence as a performer. Song requests are encouraged and will be explored whenever possible.
Over a 10 week course, as well as looking at classic Rock, Pop and Blues standards we also choose one other musical genre to focus on to broaden your musical repertoire. Focus genres covered in previous courses have included Folk, Bluegrass, Funk and Latin Jazz.
How to ‘rip it up’ on a ukulele
In our Intermediate classes we aim to get you ‘Ripping It Up’ on the ukulele! With a hands-on practical approach and through a variety of standards and musical genres, we’ll look at chord theory, chord construction, inversions, scales and modes, playing in different keys, improvisation and performance tips n tricks!
The course places a strong emphasis on developing a confident playing technique. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness as part of a group ensemble. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage individual style.
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play multi-part arrangements with Ukulele and Baritone Ukulele
- Learn about developing arrangement and performance in songs with multiple parts
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Reinforcing playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking
- Build confident strumming patterns and rhythms using emphasis, accent and syncopation
- Explore use of barre chords to achieve dampening effects useful for achieving a more percussive and syncopated sound
- Emphasis on timing and cross group syncopation with alternate strumming parts
- Introduction to advanced strumming and picking techniques including tremolo picking where song appropriate
Melody and Theory
- Develop awareness of the whole fretboard
- Introduction to advanced scales including Minor and Major Pentatonic
- Introduction to Modes
- Melody improvisation within a song structure
- Playing both melody and harmony to a song over the chord structure
Chords and Chord Theory
- Focus on advanced progressions outside the I/IV/V format related to chosen material
- Establish relational patterns between barre chords outside the key of C
- Expanding chord repertoire and using extended chords
- Explore ways to decorate simple chord progressions using inversions
- Understanding the circle of 5ths
- Developing understanding of chord construction in relative Major and Minor keys
- Our Rip It Up! course culminates in a “Grand Finale” show where you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills at a London music venue.