Absolute Beginners Ukulele Lessons – 10 Week Course
Monday Evenings 7-9pm
Starting 2 October 2017
Ending 4 December 2017
Join the Duke of Uke’s ‘School of Uke’ for a 10 week Absolute Beginners Ukulele course!
Our Absolute Beginners Ukulele Lessons will give you the perfect introduction to the Ukulele! Meet new people and get inspired on one of our relaxed, fun and friendly evening courses.
At the end of the course you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills to family and friends at our very own ‘Grand Finale’ ukulele show at a local music venue.
With a strong focus on playing within a group, we’ll teach you your first chords and get you strumming the Ukulele like a pro! Using a range of Pop and Rock Classics, we give you an introduction to chord and melody playing, and playing arrangements together in a band like setup!
The course places a strong emphasis on developing a confident playing technique. As well developing your technical ability, with a focus on timing, texture, rhythm and song, we aim to build your musical awareness as part of a group ensemble. We take into consideration the specific aspirations and needs of everyone in the group, and encourage singing and individual style.
All techniques will be taught through contextual application, looking at popular and lesser-known rock, pop, folk and blues tunesThink ABBA, The Smiths, Blondie, The Cure, Bowie, 60s Classics from The Shirelles to the Shangr-Las, French Pop and Bluegrass! Song requests are encouraged and will be incorporated within the program where applicable.
We welcome beginners new to ukulele and students without any prior musical knowledge. We’ll teach you everything you need to know to get going on the instrument!
Our Absolute Beginners course ends with a “Grand Finale” show where you’ll have the opportunity to show off your new playing skills to family and friends at a local music venue.
Through a selection of popular songs curated and arranged by Duke of Uke we’ll give you the confidence to start your musical journey with the Ukulele.
Absolute Beginners breakdown:
Group Ensemble & Performance Technique
- Play one or two part arrangements with Ukulele
- Learn about performance in songs
- Emphasis on musical awareness, group timing, texture, rhythm and song
- Develop playing technique and encourage individual style within a group
- Introduction to playing effectively and confidently in a live gigging environment
Strumming and Picking:
- Learn a variety of strumming patterns, with accent and basic syncopation
- Introduction to using simple picking patterns to add flavour and variation to playing
Melody and Theory
- Understand and read tablature
- Introduction to the C scale in chromatic, major and minor pentatonic (blues)
- Playing simple single-note melodies
Chords and Chord Theory:
- Learn major, minor and seventh chords in root position
- Learn the structure of and play a basic 12-Bar Blues
- Play a I/IV/V chord progression
- Introduction to understanding chord construction